Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Art of Packing

overstuffed suitcaseNope, I'm not moving back to the Midwest yet. That'll come next year. For now, we're really enjoying Boston, but we are getting ready to do some traveling soon.

In about a  week, the DH & I will be off on a 12 day cruise!

I'm not what you'd call an efficient packer. I confess that I usually wait until the night before we have to leave, frantically do laundry and then throw whatever makes it out of the dryer in time into suitcases.

 Not this time.

 I decided to become a savvy traveler and plan my packing long before it's time to hop in the taxi to the airport. So I Googled how to do that. Here's what my search turned up. A website by a lady who claims to be able to pack for a 3 week trip to London, Amsterdam and Paris in a standard carry-on bag.

I kid you not.

I was hypnotically fascinated, imagining all the mix-and-match outfits she could pull together with just a few basic pieces. I can see how it might work. However, if I try to emulate her, I can also see a few problems.
  • To be able to roll up the 15 piece wardrobe "capsule" (plus 3 pairs of shoes and accessories) into a carry on, she must be a size 2! Enough panties, socks and bras alone in my size fills up half of my little roller bag.
  • The cornerstone of her 15 piece plan is re-wearing items. I should tell you that she doesn't plan to do any laundry other than her "smalls" in the bathroom sink. I can only assume she has no sweat glands. After I've worn a top and a pair of capris on a busy day of hiking, they will not be reusable without a wash.
  • My packing guru doesn't mention toiletries. I suppose I can use the ship soaps and shampoos. Granted, I can't pack a 6 step skin care regimen, but if I don't want to look like a Neanderthal woman in our pictures, I'm going to need some of my basics. Unless my goal is to frighten small children...
  • No electronics! Nowhere does the travel expert mention packing her laptop (which for authors is a must because we never know when the Muse will demand attention.) She didn't even leave room for a tablet or ereader! Talk about roughing it!
Well, clearly I'm not going to be able to travel with only a carry on. But the next time I go shopping for clothes (which doesn't happen often because I am the Anti-Shopper) she's given me some valuable tips for building my stay at home wardrobe. I really do love her ideas and admire the simplicity of what she's trying to do.

But I still need the modern equivalent of a steamer trunk.

How about you? Are you a planner when you travel or a see what comes out of the laundry & throw it in a bag sort of traveler?

No comments:

Post a Comment